The Man-Cold or Man-Flu can be a devastating illness for half the population. New guidelines have been released to risk-stratify these patients.
An objective rating scale for the Emergency Department. Give the patient a point for each symptom listed below. Scores range 0-10.
- Brought in by mother
- Requests a wheelchair
- Lays down in the lobby
- Brings own blanket/slippers/tissues
- Has personal trashcan with foamy sputum in the bottom as evidence of his acute illness
- Needs assistance out of the car/to the bathroom
- Requesting admission
- Unable to open eyes or speak in a normal tone
- Unable to do anything for himself, example: can’t cover himself up, use urinal w/o assistance.
Score patient and follow treatment algorithm below
0-3 Mild – Give antibiotics to increase press-ganey scores
4-7 Moderate – 23 hour observation is needed
8-10 Severe – Call ICU STAT
*A score of 10 requires end-of-life consult from pastoral care.
This article first appeared on Gomerblog. Read the original article.